.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Retro-tech

I'm a numbers guy so, consequently, I like having as much information in front of me when I ride. Speed, time, distance, gradient, cadence, heart rate, etc, etc, etc. 

Now days, getting all this info in one handy computer is simple with a plethora of choices on the market. They are all packaged in a small computer that conveniently fits on your handlebars. But what did people do before these devices were invented???

Well, on one of the bikes of the visitors from Hong Kong, I discovered an old school method of measuring the gradient of a hill. 

Strapped to the handlebars of his bike was a spirit level with markings indicating the gradient. 



It didn't really look like the most accurate way of measuring the gradient and whenever you hit a bump, the air bubble jumped around or even split in two.  

I can see how it works and it's usefulness... but I think it's validity ran out a few years ago. And how do you calibrate a spirit level that measures gradient? By using another giant spirit level?

No comments:

Post a Comment