.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Planking

There are some crazy fads out there. Things that I would not consider doing in my wildest dreams that somehow manage to go viral and become an internet craze. One that I saw recently was 'hockern' and is a cross between skate-boarding and extreme sitting. I laughed the first time I saw it but it is so popular now that there is even an annual 'hocktoberfest'. Check out some videos on youtube and you will laugh at how bizzare it is.

In the last week I have discovered another fad. If you have been reading the news lately you may have noticed that a young man died in Brisbane after he fell from a balcony whilst 'planking'. This got me wondering exactly what he was doing and after some research, it seems he was indulging in the latest 'craze' called planking.

Planking is the action of lying face down with arms to the sides of the body, in unusual public spaces and photographing it. The Planking Australia group on Facebook has announced 25 May 2011 as the inaugural annual Planking Day, to encourage new and group planking. So after our brewery tour recently, we decided to have a crack at it ourselves. However, we did limit ourselves to relatively low to the ground planking for safety reasons.

Here are some shots from our planking night in Munchen...

Despite how fun, stupid and ridiculous planking is, I don't think that I will be getting heavily involved in it any time soon. I think I might stick with plain and normal cycling. Or maybe I could combine the two and create 'plank-cycling'???...
Or maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment