.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Two birds, one stone

I have managed to get the time it takes for me to wake up in the morning, get out of bed, get dressed and on the bike down to 15 minutes. To do this, I have to sacrifice having anything to eat and the standard 30 minutes on the toilet that a lot of other people seem to require but at least I get a little bit more sleep.

To keep everything easy, I have been storing my helmet and sunnies in a cupboard near the door so I can just throw it on as I am on the way out. After several long rides and many humid days, it has become apparent that keeping my sweat soaked helmet in a sealed, confined space may not be the best idea in the world.

This morning, I opened the cupboard to retreive my helmet and recoiled at the smell. It's like opening an oven to check on food cooking only to be met by a wave of heat. I decided that it's time my helmet had a wash. I could take it down stairs and put it under the hose. I could remove the padding and run it through the washing machine. But I am a lazy man.

The most efficient way to clean your helmet is simple. Just have a shower with it on. Whack some shampoo on your head, lather it up and wiggle your helmet around. I was mid-wash when Emily came home. She walked in to find me in the shower with my helmet on.

Surprisingly, Emily didn't even flinch at the sight. She just turned around and kept on with her business. I Googled, 'cleaning bike helmet' and it seems that I am not the only one with this ingenious idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment