.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Price of living

Working in the city has meant that I have had a lot more options when it comes to food. There is a plethora of fast food restaurants and cafes nearby that sell the usual high calorie - low nutrition food. Despite this, I tend to find myself at the local IGA Supermarket to stock up on tins of Tuna and Salada crackers. I lie to myself and say that it's 'healthier' than the other stuff I could be eating.

Today, being Friday, I thought I would indulge a little and get one of the prepared sandwhiches that they sell in the Deli section. So I got a ham and salad 'toastie', a ceaser salad and an iced coffee. I would generally consider this to be a relatively 'green' option or at least better than a meat pie and a coke.

When I got to the register, I was shocked to discover the total for these 3 items came to $17.39!!!!!



That is just ridiculous! Why does it cost so much to eat healthy? I can totally understand why people choose to go to McDonalds or other fast food restaurants for lunch everyday. For that amount, I could get almost 3 small meals!!

The best thing is, if I took two steps to the left at the IGA Deli and into the hot box section, I could have gotten 5 steak pies and a can of Coke for the same price! It makes economical sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment