.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Foo

The first CD that I ever bought was Metallica; Ride the Lightning. The second was Live; Throwing Copper. Much to my mother's distain, I used listened to a lot of rock music. After finishing school, I used to rock out to Pearl Jam, The Chili Peppers, Cold Chisel and even the lyrically challenged Nickelback. It was all the rage, long before Britney even did it the first time.



Despite this passion for phat guitar solos and long, unruly hair, I never actually went to a rock concert. The closest I came was seeing a disappointing performance from Tame Impala, where I couldn't understand a word they sang.

Last weekend, for my 30th birthday, my friend Oliver got his hands on some tickets to the Foo Fighters concert. I'll have to admit, it was a while ago since I listened to them... like Monkey Wrench a while ago, but I was keen to see them in action.

As I was getting ready to go, it dawned on me: I have never been to a rock concert and have no idea waht is appropriate attire or trend. The only thing I have to go by is cliche movies about the 70's and that Mark Wahlburg movie, Rockstar. I don't own any black leather pants or hair extensions! So where does one find out about these important life dilemas? The same place you find out anything else you want; Google.



So I typed in 'what to wear to a Foo Fighters concert' and it seems I am not alone in my conundrum. There was a plethora of websites telling me that I couldn't go wrong with a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt. So that is what I did. I just wish that the website would have told me that it would get ridiculously hot in a stadium full of people and shorts may be a better option!



The concert was at the Gold Coast, in the Metricon Stadium. Tenacious D was the support act and by the time Jack Black had finished his Tribute, the stadium was packed. With such a vast space on the field to fill, I didn't know what to expect. Maybe a moshpit at the front and a field of Woodstock-style rockers waving their arms around. Being an anti sober-dancer and on an alcohol hiatus after my recent experience in China, I stood in the field awkwardly for 4 hours, like Ricky Bobby not knowing what to do with my hands.



I'll admit that they played some songs that I have never heard before as well as the old favourites. It brought back memories of when I used to rock out with a beer and a cigarette while Black Sabbath played in the background. Now, it's hard to find 10 minutes a week in which to get funky. Since the concert, I have since put the old Pearl Jam CDs back into circulation and have done some reminiscing. All I have to do now is complain about the youth of today and say that the music they listen to has no meaning, not like the music I used to listen to back in my day. I am getting old...

No comments:

Post a Comment